Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Risky Transport by Christine Johnson


Have you ever found yourself facing a mode of transportation that has you second-guessing? As someone who has found herself face-to-face with a bear while hiking and plowing into heavy seas with a sailboat, I’ve had my share of travel adventures and misadventures.

Sometimes, though, I know beforehand that it’s something I do not want to do. Naturally, those “no way” modes of transportation are precisely what my husband is dying to do.

First he insisted on parasailing. “It’ll be fun,” he said. I saw instead the potential for an ugly crash landing on the deck of the boat. Yep, me splattered with broken bones. Only after grilling the captain, did I agree to go. Yeah, it was fun. I loved it. Hubby? Let’s just say his knuckles never stopped being white.



Next up, whitewater rafting. When they made me sign a waiver that they weren’t liable even if I died, I had to ask how many had died on their tours. Well, none yet, but there’s always a first time. Don’t you love a kidder?

Next he wanted to take a helicopter ride through the mountains. Really? Hadn’t he read the same newspaper articles I did about tour helicopters crashing? I might have a chance over water but not over the northern Rocky Mountains. 



The writer’s mind automatically thinks up all the possibilities and settles on the one that will most dramatically change the story and affect the characters. That’s great on paper but not so fun when I’m the one signing off on the waiver.

Yes, I did all of these, though it took a lot of praying and reassurance from the Lord before agreeing to the helicopter ride. And you know what? None of the bad stuff happened. In fact, each adventure was fun and at times exhilarating. The moment the helicopter landed following the tour, I turned to my husband and said, “Let’s do it again, right now.” How else could I see God's beautiful creation from this perspective? 



Lately the Lord has been showing me that I need to trust Him completely. It’s not easy for this constant what-if thinker, but He has always come through. He is faithful. I’m the baby, uncertain whether to try that first step or not. Thankfully my Heavenly Daddy has big arms and unshakeable love.

In our books, our heroines all take a leap of faith, whether it’s women answering a mail-order bride advertisement, such as in my Love Inspired Historical Boom Town Brides series, or a poor woman spending everything to go to a new land to make a new life, such as in Honor Redeemed (Revell).





What leap of faith have you made that turned out to be the best decision ever?







Christine Johnson
Honor Redeemed (#2, Keys of Promise, Revell, July 2016)
Mail Order Mix-Up (#1, Boom Town Brides, LIH, April 2016)
Mail Order Mommy (#2, Boom Town Brides, LIH, Nov 2016)





5 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to ride in a helicopter! My dad was a pilot and had a couple of planes. Loved going over the Texas Hill Country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be beautiful to see, Jolene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did a helicopter ride to a glacier in Alaska. It was breath-taking and a little scary, too, but it was definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a gorgeous helicopter ride, Merrillee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ziplining is on my "to do" list, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive