Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Pony Express Horses

Hey Everyone! Rhonda Gibson here... running late... so sorry.

But let's use the time I have left to talk about the Pony Express horses.

I have always loved horses. So while doing research for the Saddles & Spurs Pony Express series, my first order of business was to find out what kinds of horses the Pony Express used. First off, I discovered they used hundreds of horses. They were top-quality and the type of horse varied due to the terrain that they would be traveling.

But, most of them were half-breed California mustangs. They were on the average, no more than fifteen hands high, weighed about nine hundred pounds and were four to seven years old.

These horse's were the riders best friends on the trail. They often saved them from attacking Indians. So they were fed the best grain. They were highly intelligent and had an uncanny sense of direction. Making them especially valuable because they often saved the riders life  by finding their way on the trail, even under the most severe weather conditions.

Of course, I do love the horses but let's be honest, the best horses were of no use without experienced riders.

The first book in the Saddles & Spurs Pony Express Courtship is out this month. In it you will be introduced to several of the riders. I changed their names but each one has a little something about them that I learned from researching the real Pony Express riders or men who worked with the Pony Express.

http://amzn.to/1KaV31R
 
 
Do you love horses? Do you have a special memory that you would like to share with us today? I'd love to hear your stories.
 


5 comments:

  1. We used to have horses. One was so huge I had to use a 5 gallon bucket to climb on. His name was John. Lol. I love the movie Young Guns. At least I think that's the name of it. It was about a Pony Express way station, the manager and the riders. I hope your books are something like that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jean for posting. I enjoyed the movie Young Guns, too. But, it wasn't about the Pony Express... that movie was about Billy The Kid. It was a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I've always been a little afraid of horses and have a lot of respect for people who can handle them.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pony express stories. I've toured many old stagecoach lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the behind-the-scenes tidbit about pony express horses. When I was a girl, I loved horses but never had one (or even rode on one). I think the love came from the stories I read.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive