Monday, October 28, 2013

Lifelong learning...and Novelists Inc.

When I finished graduate school years ago, I figured my education days were over, barring the ongoing, continuing education hours required for a registered dietitian.  And then...I became a writer. I became so excited about this new world that I approached it as if I were embarking on a self-guided graduate program--went to every conference I could find, bought endless tapes of writing workshops, accumulated stacks of writing books...on and on and on.

And now--thirty books later--that love of trying to learn more about writing has never changed.  Late last night, our daughter Emily (and aspiring author, who provides some support services for the business end of my writing) and I returned from the Novelists Inc conference in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.  What an experience that was!  We drove in sleet and slushy light snow the entire way to Chicago, where we caught our plane, then arrived at a beautiful Marriott Grand Dunes, where the food was wonderful and we walked barefoot on a sunny, sandy beach for an hour every day.

But the best part was just how wonderful the conference was.  I've been a Ninc member for years but had never attended.  Have I ever missed the boat!  The conference is focused on the needs of the published author, and the workshops ran all day and then from 8-10pm in the evening.  When I told my husband about the busy schedule, he said dryly, "Well, that sure sounds like fun!"  I think he would have opted for days exploring the beautiful area, but I was thrilled to have every minute count and have already registered for next year.  I love the RWA and ACFW (American Christian Fiction Authors) conferences too, but the Ninc is now a welcome addition!

I'd love to hear about where your own passions lie.  Certain hobbies? Sports?  A career you love?  Have you every attended a truly special conference that really made a difference for you?  I'd love to hear about it!

Anyone commenting here, who is a USA resident will be entered in drawing for a free book of their choice from my backlist--which can be found at my website, www.roxannerustand.com.  There will be three winners, to be chosen on Friday!

All the best,
Roxanne Rustand


12 comments:

  1. I love books! Reading each one is like an adventure to me. writing is like a quest. I've never been at a writing conference but I have browsed many writing tutorials. I have also bought books on how to write a best-selling novel etc. I roamed my way to this blog in the course of my quest and I have been blessed severally.

    Well Roxanne, I don't live in The US but I will love a copy of your book. Can you e-mail me the PDF version? Pleeeeaaaasse! (olufissyalabby@gmail.com) THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your comment. Sounds like you are embarking on a writing adventure too! Have you written anything yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxanne, I know what you mean about the NINC conference. I was sorry to miss this year. I've been the last two years, but since I've moved to the western part of the country, I couldn't find an airfare to suit me for this year. If I'd still lived in FL, I would've driven. Where is the conference next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxanne,

    I saw the pool pic and knew you had to be at the Marriott. Hubby and I spent four days there in September. Such a lovely beach and beautiful hotel. We're going back again.

    Thanks for the info about NINC. Something to think about for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merrilee, the 2014 conference is back at the Tradewinds in Florida, on a beach. When that was announced on Sunday morning, you could have heard the cheer a state away!

    Someone said that it was "all the best of RWA" in that there was excellent networking, a great group of very informative industry professionals, and a lot of valuable information at the workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debby, what a great idea--going back to this beautiful hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful conference! I wish I had known where it was this year. I might have joined and gone. I'm only about a 5 hour drive from there.

    Something to think about for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would definitely recommend it. And I recommend the organization itself, too.

    As far as the 2014 conference, the Tradewinds is in St Petersburg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to learn about this organization and their conference (for future reference!). Sounds like you and your daughter had a wonderful time.

    Attending the ACFW conferences and my first RWA conference (this year) have been amazing experiences for me---not only have I learned SO much (and continue learning), but I am very blessed by all the friendships that have developed!
    Blessings from Georgia, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patti Jo, I agree. ACFW and RWA are wonderful organizations. It is so amazing that there is such a welcoming atmosphere in both, where more experienced writers are happy to offer workshops, encouragement and support to those starting out. I owe both organizations, and many fellow members, my deepest gratitude.
    Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patti Jo, I agree. ACFW and RWA are wonderful organizations. It is so amazing that there is such a welcoming atmosphere in both, where more experienced writers are happy to offer workshops, encouragement and support to those starting out. I owe both organizations, and many fellow members, my deepest gratitude.
    Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Roxanne, I have written some books, self-published one and writing one right now. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive