Monday, June 24, 2013

Memories--Leann Harris

When I picked up the Metro section of the newspaper today, there was a picture that resembled a page from an old high-school year book.  What caught my attention was the hair-dos.  1943. (Of course the dos from my high school year book shall remain unmentioned.)  Anyway, how they did that thing with the top of their hair is a mystery. (The link will take you to the pics.)  Then I read the article.  It was their 70th anniversary reunion.  Every male knew what they'd do upon graduation--go into the service, Army, Navy, Marine, Merchant Marines.  Some of the men showed up for graduation in their uniforms.  It touched my heart.

Also, there was among the seniors a intense 'live in the moment attitude', because the world was crumbling around them.  That had to be hard.  Of course when I was in high school, Viet Nam was raging, and men prayed for a high draft number.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20130622-adamsons-class-of-1943-recalls-high-school-fun-amid-uncertainty-of-world-war-ii.ece

The article made me stop and think.  There is so much more to life than our little slice.

4 comments:

  1. It's a fascinating reminder of how future are shaped by circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leann, my father graduated high school in 1943. I love hearing his stories from his days of growing up in the Depression and then facing war when he was really still a boy. Definitely the Greatest Generation! Okay, maybe I'm biased. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great before and after pictures. I wish I could have read the article, but LOL you have to subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to see the then and now photos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive