Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Home on the Range Holiday Cookies

I'm Victoria Bylin . . . I've written eight western romances for Love Inspired Historicals and thoroughly enjoyed stories set in the old West. at the same time, I enjoy the modern conveniences in my kitchen. With the fall season in the air, II've started to think about baking.

 My grandmother made these cookies when I was a little girl, and I’ve kept the tradition going for my sons. You’ll find similar recipes in just about any cookbook, but this one has everything . . . and lots of it. You can add or subtract the extra ingredients as you like. 

If you make this cookies for Christmas, red and green M&Ms are a festive touch. And for Halloween and fall, use Reese’s pieces.



HOME ON THE RANGE HOLIDAY COOKIES
1-1/2 c. butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking power
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 c. oatmeal (regular not instant or steel cut)
2 c. Rice Krispies
1 can shredded coconut (7 oz or so)
1 big bag chocolate chips
1 large box raisins
½ lb. walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cream butter and sugar and vanilla. Add beaten eggs. Cream well. Add dry ingredients (sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt). Mix well. Add coconut, chocolate chips and nuts.  Flatten into small cookies with wet hands.  Bake for 10-12 minutes. This is a double recipe, makes 16 dozen.

I hope you enjoy the recipe!  My books are available on Amazon B&N, and Christianbook.com


9 comments:

  1. This recipe looks yummy! I can't wait to try it! I love your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great recipe. All your books are on my keeper shelf. Next up, kindlizing them!

    Peace, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're right about this recipe having everything in it! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I can use the oatmeal from Quaker Oats?

    The shredded coconut is also something I don't have in my kitchen, spice aisle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy! The cookies really are good. So glad you've enjoyed my books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie! I love reading on my Kindle, but half the time I end up buying a hard copy to share with someone. Pros and cons, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Christine! I can't think of anything it doesn't have . . . It's fun to make, but I have to confess, I've been known to leave out the raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pamela, Yes to Quaker Oats. The regular kind is best, but instant will do. Definitely not steel cut oats! You'll find shredded coconut in the baking isle. I'm not generally a coconut person, but it makes the cookies moist. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness this looks delish!! I'm not a fan of raisins or walnuts but I can see omitting them or substituting something like butterscotch chips :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive