Wednesday, July 25, 2012

When Your Life is Upended

Lacy Williams here. Our family has been in the process of selling our house and purchasing a new house for over a month. With two small kids and three dogs, you can imagine how quickly things can get messy. Toys, food, dog hair... need I go on?

So for the last month we've been in this weird limbo... needing to keep the house perfectly clean and sometimes having to leave on short notice if there is a house showing. And wondering if we'll get an offer, if the house will pass inspection and getting things ready to move into the new house... all that on top of our "normal lives" of work, writing and raising kids.

It's been a little crazy. Can you relate? Have you had a time in your life where everything seemed "up in the air" and you were just waiting for things to resolve themselves? A time of intense stress?

I'd like to share an excerpt from my May release, THE HOMESTEADER'S SWEETHEART. In this scene, the heroine Penny Castlerock has a lot to ponder because her life is in a state of upheaval.

"Mmm. Well, money ain't everything, Penny-girl." He raised his eyes to the horizon. "Look at that sunset. You ever seen anything so beautiful?"
Penny placed one hand against her aching back. What she really wanted to do was go inside and rest awhile, but she obediently took a moment to study the pinking sky over the mountains in the distance.
"Sometimes it's the moments of beauty in yer life that are worth the most…" Walt's voice trailed off.
"You want to tell me what's really bothering you, Penny-girl? Other than your ornery brother, that is?"
"Hmm?"
"I might not be as perceptive as your Gran was, but I can tell you've got somethin' on your heart."
She stared at the sky, now turning a deep red. "My father wants me to marry a man I can't abide."
Walt grunted.
"If it was someone I could possibly see myself with, I would give things a chance, but this man…he is…" She couldn't explain the feeling Mr. Abbott inspired in her, but she shivered just thinking about the disturbing way he looked at her and the words she'd overheard before she'd left town.
"You know, I didn't think your pa was worth much when your mama first brought him home."
Penny had heard the story before, how her father had seen the most beautiful girl during a visit to Bear Creek and followed her home.
"It's more than that," Penny said, shaking her head. "There's something…unsettling about this man."
Walt was silent; Penny knew he was still thinking. Her grandfather certainly wasn't a man to speak quickly. Sort of like Jonas White.
"What should I do? I know I'm supposed to honor my father, but I won't marry Mr. Abbott."
"Penny-girl, if I know one thing, it's that your father loves you and wants the best for you. Maybe this Mr. Abbott of yours has some redeeming qualities you don't know about."
"But…"
Walt turned to her and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Maybe it was God's will for you to come out here and visit me. Get away for a little bit and think things through. Remember what really matters."
She pondered his words as the sky turned purple. What really mattered…yes, finding a husband was important, but what about love?


I won't spoil the ending, but Penny finally figures things out and makes the right choices for her future. As for me and my family, God will see us through this trying time of not knowing and things being unsettled. In the meantime, I'm trying to take advantage of the small moments and enjoy my children and time with my husband--in between all of the craziness!

What about you? What do you do when you have a time of being unsettled?






6 comments:

  1. I hope you get an offer on the house.
    over 3 years ago I was evicted from the house I had lived in since I was 8. (the landlord wanted to sell the house, I had a chance to try and buy it and he gave permission to have it evaluated then used this to evict me). It was stressful as he would drive in the yard several times a week and drive past every day. I also had to find somewhere to move and thankfully this house worked out for both the new landlords and myself. But at the time it was so stressful the old landlord had me so stressed and almost scared to be home in the day incase he came in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to read about your ordeal Jenny. Some scary people on this world... so glad you're happy and settled now.

    When I started reading - I'm an instant stressed person so just by reading the post title I was frowning - and all of the sudden I thought that's right: "when your Life is Upended" take time to appreciate good, though small, things in Life like a Sunset.

    And now I'm looking forward to learn the end of the book. There's a reason I read endings first... all the suspense would kill me in the middle of the book ahahahah.

    Good Luck on selling the House and on your book.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lacy, I hope all goes well with the sale of your house. I can relate. We've moved numerous times, and I know about that trying to keep the house clean thing. You almost feel as though you can't live in your own house. When my kids were in middle school, and I was also teaching school at a nearby elementary school and had to be to work about a half hour before my kids caught the bus. We had our house up for sale because we were moving from Atlanta to Boston. My girls were responsible for putting the dog in his kennel and then making sure the kitchen was clean before they left. I told them if the dishwasher was full of clean dishes and they didn't have time to empty it to put the dirty dishes in the washing machine. Anything to keep the house clean. :)

    Jenny, glad to know all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going through constant upheaval is part of the territory when it comes to being married to a man in the Army. My husband and I have been together for almost four years, and so far we've moved three times. The fourth will be later this year, and then we will move a final time next year back to Colorado when his service term has ended. I get frustrated, naturally, but I choose to put my faith in God. I know that God has us doing this for a reason, and that He will bring goood out of it, even if all we see is the bad and the stressful right now.

    Praying that you get an offer on your house soon. I know what you're going through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments. Jenny, your story is so scary! Glad it worked out.
    And yes, Teresa, sometimes it's hard to focus on the little things--I get stressed easily too.
    Merrillee--I had dirty dishes in a walmart bag and took them with me once. It's so hard to keep things "perfect"!
    Brandi, that's a lot of upheaval. I deeply admire military families and the things you go through to support our country.
    Thanks, ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive