Thursday, January 12, 2012

We've got resolutions...do you?

Cara Putman here with the Ladies of Love Inspired Historicals. With a New Year come resolutions. You know, those desires we commit to in hopes of changing or improving. 


The Craftie Ladies of LI Historicals have some of the following resolutions. 


I've made three resolutions to improve my:
Body: To get back on my diet. Lost 25 lbs. last year, then let birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas sidetracked me. Have already gotten back on track.
Mind: To be more disciplined about my writing (to avoid deadline panic) and play spider solitaire less often.
Spirit: To be closer to the Lord, to know Him better, and to let Him work through me to be kinder and more thoughtful of others, especially my students.
  --Louise Gouge


I don't make resolutions, but I do set goals.  These include very specific writing goals, personal goals (like cutting back on sugar and exercising more), and spiritual goals, like spending more time listening during my prayer time.  I recently read that a relationship requires both talking and listening, and our relationship with God is no different.  To be honest, I'd been doing most of the talking, so this year I have a goal to stop, sit quietly, and listen. 

My resolution this year is to focus on one thing at a time. Sometimes I get so many balls in the air it is hard to juggle everything, but if I can focus on just one thing, give that one thing my full attention, I can get it done and move on (and get everything done). 


First and always is to dedicate myself to a deeper understanding of God and faith. 

Secondly, my New Year's resolution is to choose discomfort over resentment. Instead of agreeing to tasks that I will later resent for taking my time (the usual c&c's - committees and cookies) I will choose the momentary discomfort of saying, "I can't at this time," -- rather than committing and feeling resentful later. 


In 2012, my primary goals are to be consistent in my daily Bible reading, participate in a ladies Bible study, manage my time more efficiently, and trust God's leading. This year will bring many changes, as my husband is transitioning out of the military. Our heart's desire is to move back home to Tennessee, to live once again near family and friends, but we will have to wait and see where God leads.
   -- Karen Kirst


Learn how to rest and wait. I tend to fill my schedule to the max — because I know it maximizes my effectiveness. But in writing in particular I’m going to try to learn to let ideas germinate awhile. I also want to start hosting more people at our house as a way to deepen friendships beyond the surface.
  --Cara C. Putman


Now, it's your turn. We'd love to know what your resolutions are as you embrace 2012.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't make a resolution this year, though I have in years past. Mainly I want to keep doing what I'm doing . . . and lose the weight I gained over the holidays!

    Thank you for the inspiration, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading these, ladies! Christine, I'm with you on cutting back the sugar! Not an easy task. Thanks for putting this together, Cara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make resolutions as much as I pick a word to focus on throughout the year. This year, my word is relationships, so I'm working on improving my relationship with God, with my family and friends, and with my writing friends and readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who scoffs at New Year's resolutions. She says, "Why would I wait? If I'm going to do something, I'll do it."

    I think it's a nice time to reflect, and make any minor course corrections you might need along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing everyone good luck with their new year resolutions!

    This year my word was breath and I'm looking forward to making time for more leisure activities like reading great LIH books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do pause to take stock of how I'm doing and reflect on what I should change when the new year rolls around, but I don't make any formal resolutions. The rebel in me would immediately thumb her nose at such restrictions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise, those computer games are terribly addictive! Good luck whittling them down.

    Best wishes to all of you! May 2012 be an awesome breakthrough year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goal for the the first part of the year is to get a job by the end of march.
    my reading goal is to read a book from every state again this year.

    I know how computer games can be addictive its partly why I have stopped a couple at FB (also they were so slow loading).

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive