Thursday, May 26, 2011

Allie Pleiter on One of THOSE Days

I’ve been having a slew of “those days” lately.  Sure, my impending deadline has something to do with it, but less than you might think.  I’m pretty sure God is trying to teach me a little perspective. 
Last year, about this time, we were getting my son through chemotherapy.  My take on what a “problem” was had a completely different skew.  It was poignant--when problems reared their ugly heads before, I have been known to declare, “Calm down, people, lives are not at stake.”  And then, suddenly, lives were at stake and God gifted me with tremendous calm under grueling circumstances.   I vowed, once we got through all that “medical mumbo jumbo” as my son now calls it, that I would never again let the turkeys get me down.
I have not succeeded.
All kinds of stupid details have gotten the better of me lately.  Folks who don’t return phone calls, or don’t hold up their end of the bargain (my pet peeve), files that won’t upload, cell phones that won’t sync, freezers that fail, kids that won’t behave (oh, big surprise there!) have all turned me into a first-class sourpuss.
What’s a girl to do?
First of all, I need to remember God’s sovereignty.  He’s got it covered, down to the last pesky detail.  How many characters have I given this realization?  Too many to count, although it seems to have not yet sunken into my own brain.
Second, I need to be as nice to myself now as I was in the hospital.  Take care of my physical and emotional health.  See friends, grab hugs, take my vitamins, drink water, spend time in prayer.
And finally, I need to pull God’s grace into each and every task, letting him shoulder the burden that’s crushing my good nature.
God gave me that good nature, He delights in it.  He’ll protect it as his precious gift.  So what about you?  Which turkeys are getting you down today, and how close are you holding your Creator’s delight?

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Allie. And so true. My characters have that realization all the time. I think it's a lesson I'm going to have to learn over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Allie! I need to learn that lesson too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost almost my entire family - my Dad, my Grandmother and my Aunts who raised me - in the past years and that makes me give Thanks for every thing that would, otherwise, mean or become a peeve.

    Some times I feel like you and sense that what's emerging is not good for me and others but then I remember this wise tale: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil.
    The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the
    time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and
    replied "The one I feed the most."

    And concentrate my energy (that energy that would make me explode) elsewhere - I pray, I clean, I putter around the garden, I (re)read Love Inspired books - and when the storm passes I see that letting the bad dog take over would have been selfish and so damaging.

    Next time it happens, and will happen, I remember the previous occasion and (try) catch the same wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that wise tale, Teresa. I'll be thinking about "which dog I feed" from here on in. The bible verse that came up in my devotional today was "In this world you will have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain undaunted]! For I have overcome the world [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.] (John 16:33AMP). Love that last bit that God has deprived the world of it's power to harm me--and it showed up AFTER I wrote today's post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im late posting been sick this week and woke up early today feeling really bad again.
    I do love the stress reliever kit and love number four if unconscious stop.

    have to say people who dont ring when they say they will annoys me to and what annoys me more is when they ring many days later saying they rang and I wasn't there and had tried other times when I know for a fact they didn't
    I am kinda on a deadline for study 2 weeks to finish 3 subjects and being sick I have lost time this week. Im rambling too sorry for that completely lost what I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also find comfort in Psalm 23 :).

    Sorry to read you're feeling poorly Ausjenny. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I tend to over-extend, too. And, like you, I get mad when others, who have responsibilies that intersect mine, don't fulfill their obligations. I love the three points you made.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive