Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hero Interview from The Marine's Baby by Deb Kastner


THE MARINE’S BABY by Deb Kastner (Oct 2010)
Interview with Nate Morningway:

1. Nate, tell me the most interesting thing about you.

A couple of months ago, I would have said it was that I diffused IED’s (homemade bombs) for the United States Marine Corps. But then my battle buddy Ezra passed away and left me the guardian of his baby daughter. Gracie is my life now, and she’s definitely the most interesting thing about me.

2. What do you do for fun?

I’ve been in Iraq serving two consecutive terms, so I’m not sure I know what fun is anymore. I like to jog to keep in shape.

3. What do you put off doing because you dread it?

Ha! Dirty diapers, but I can’t really put that off, now, can I?

Seriously, I dreaded going home to Morningway Lodge because I’d have to face my older brother, Vince. He and I never got along at the best of times, especially after I ran off and joined the marines and left him alone to take care of the lodge by himself.

4. What are you afraid of most in life?

I’m terrified I’m not going to be a good father for Gracie. I’m all she has, and I’m not sure I’m up to the task. Nothing in my marine training taught me how to be a good dad. I’m afraid of raising Gracie without a mother’s influence. And I’m afraid my own lack of faith in God won’t be good for Gracie. Faith is important to the rest of my family, my own mom, especially, God rest her soul. She would have wanted me to raise Gracie in a Christian home.

5. What do you want out of life?

I would like to help my brother run Morningway Lodge. Even though I left home and turned my back on it, it’s still, in a way, my legacy, and I’d like it to be Gracie’s, too. But that’s not going to happen. Vince hates me. And I guess I don’t blame him.


6. What is the most important thing to you?

Gracie. That little girl is my world.

7. Do you read books? If so, what is your favorite type of book?

My brother Vince is the reader. I always had trouble in school. I probably ought to read a baby book or two, though, right?

8. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Maybe you should ask my brother. Vince is always telling me I’m immature and irresponsible.

9. Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?

No pets. Impossible when you’re deployed. I’d like to get Gracie a pet someday, though. Maybe a little kitten or something.

10. If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why?

I’d go back to my 18th birthday, when I enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps without letting my father and brother know about it. I think I would still have enlisted, but I should have told them before I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive