Monday, September 13, 2010

Remembering 9/11... by Lisa Mondello


As I worked last week on my next proposal for Love Inspired Romance, I thought of ways that I could include remembrance of 9/11 in my stories. Next year will mark the 10Th anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy. But this past weekend still marked another year of remembrance that shouldn't be passed over.

As I worked on my proposal, I saw different people marking the anniversary in different ways. A prayer vigil was held at the town common. People posted prayers and notes in the local paper. Some people posted on online blogs. Some people had signs on their front lawns. Some people sat in front of the television and watched the "remember when" coverage that ran all day.

One particular thing that stuck out for me was when I was shopping at my local Walmart. Two women stood outside the door with signs on them that said Free Hugs. I thought perhaps it was for a charity or a fundraiser. People do different things for causes. I went into the store and did my shopping and didn't think anything of it until I was checking out. I asked the cashier if she knew what the Free Hugs were all about. She said no and she was curious too since the women had been there all morning.

When I walked out the door, my curiosity got the best of me. Being me, I had to ask. The two women introduced themselves as Marilyn and Ann. They said that they wanted to do something to remember the day and thought giving a hug would make people feel good. I thought it was unusual but very sweet. People sometimes don't express their feelings, even though they feel a loss deeply. Who couldn't use a hug now and then to be lifted up? I hope Marilyn and Ann gave out lots of hugs and those hugs were felt deeply.

Many blessings, Lisa Mondello

2 comments:

  1. Sweet story, Lisa. I've never heard of anyone doing that. Very generous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa -- that is unusual and rather sweet. Sometimes it's easier to give money than something of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive