Friday, July 2, 2010

Learning to Leave the Nest

On a recent trip to Tucson to babysit my granddaughter, I was able to witness an interesting aspect of God's creation. A bird had built her nest in the corner of the roof that covers the patio at my daughter's house. Each morning my granddaughter would go to the window and look up and say, "bird" in her little eighteen-month-old voice. She had to check on the bird several times a day. So I too began watching the bird.






One morning I noticed that there was a baby bird in the nest, too. Several mornings the mother bird would be gone, then come back and feed the baby. Watching the process was amazing. The baby bird seemed to grow up overnight. The baby seemed small, but by the day I left it had learned to fly and had left the nest. I took a couple of photos of the baby bird after it had flown out of the nest. But mama bird was close by watching and swooped in, but not before I managed to snap the photo below.



The photo below is of mama and baby sitting on the fence around my daughter's swimming pool.


Baby had flown from the nest, when just days before the mama bird had been protecting her baby beneath her wing. It reminded me of the scripture, Psalm 91:4. "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."

Have you ever had an interesting experience watching God's creatures?

2 comments:

  1. I was just listening to someone on the radio the other day talking about a similar experience. My nest is almost empty. Daughter came home but hope she'll be leaving the nest again in a year or two.
    BTW, drop by my blog and read my summer gift to readers.
    http://bit.ly/N4yOf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrillee,
    Next time to visit Tucson, give me a shout. One of my best friends lives there and I'm often in town visiting. The RWA group that's there is wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive