Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hero Interview from A Match Made in Texas


Interview with the hero from A Match Made in Texas by Arlene James:

1. Stephen, tell me the most interesting thing about you.

I’d have to say that the most interesting thing about me is that I play professional hockey, goalie, which is the best position. Ha! My agent told me to say that. But, really, I wouldn’t want to play any other position…unless they wouldn’t let me play goalie. Then I’d play any position at all just so long as they let me play. I’ve loved hockey since the first time I laced up my skates, but that opportunity didn’t come until I moved with my mom from Texas back to her native Holland after my parents divorced. I just thank God that I get paid to do something I really, really enjoy.

2. What do you do for fun?

Not too long ago, I was a party hound. You know, drinking, nightclubs, everything that goes with that life. Looking back now, I realize that the whole scene was one of desperation for me, and believe me, it only brought heartache with it, but I just didn’t know what else to do, until I met Kaylie and her aunts. Those Chatam sisters—they’re triplets, you understand––now, they know how to live. I’m not talking about the mansion or the money or any of that stuff. What they have is peace…and goodness and, well, joy. Kaylie, too. And I guess in a way I have to include myself in that now. Anyway, these days, the most fun thing I do is just hang out with my sweet Kaylie and a few good friends, like my agent Aaron and his wife. Oh, okay. And Kaylie’s aunts, too. I confess: I get a real kick out of those three old sweethearts. Other than that, I really like working out, any kind of physical activity, really.

3. What do you put off doing because you dread it?

I hate to say this, but since the death of my cousin Nick I’ve dreaded every conversation with my mom and the rest of the family in Holland. I-I just couldn’t face them. For a long time, I wouldn’t even take my mom’s telephone calls. That’s better since I learned how to be forgiven, but I still have a hard time talking to my aunt and grandparents about it. I don’t hide from them anymore, but it’s still tough sometimes. I miss Nick so much, and I still feel responsible, but it’s getting better, little by little.

4. What are you afraid of most in life?

Messing up. Again. I’ve made a couple of mistakes, let down people who depended on me, with tragic results. I didn’t think I’d ever get past them, but I guess that’s why God brought me to Chatam House, to show me that I can overcome my past and trust my future with Him.

5. What do you want out of life?

Well, I want to keep on playing hockey as long as I’m physically able, but really, that’s just the icing on the cake. More than anything else, I want to love well those precious, important people God has brought into my life. That’s Kaylie first and foremost, of course, and our family, my folks back in the Netherlands, the Chatams (only God knows for sure how many of them there are!), including her dad and brothers and aunts and my dad here in Texas. Aaron, too. He may be my agent, but he’s my friend first. There was a time when he was my only friend, frankly. He’ll make a great “uncle,” for when Kaylie and I have kids of our own, which is something I want very much.

6. What is the most important thing to you?

Knowing that I don’t have to do it all on my own anymore. Listen, there is a God, and He cares and He provides. He is there, here, always, and He wants to meet our needs. Understanding that has changed my life.

7. Do you read books? If so, what is your favorite type of book?

Uh, not so much. I mean, if I’m laid up in bed with broken bones and too many stitches to count and the TV is in the other room, I might pick up a book. If it’s close to hand. Or if Kaylie’s reading something she wants to share with me. Believe it or not, I kind of like the historical stuff.

8. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

It has been pointed out to me lately that I’m something of a brooder. It’s not that I worry so much; it’s just that I seem to always think about the worst possible outcome first and then spend a lot of time working my way around to the best possible outcome. I think that’s one reason I like hockey so much. It’s such a fast game that it gives you no time to think things through. You have to react instinctively, and if you don’t have the instinct, no amount of training can give it to you. Too bad I can’t do everything that way.

9. Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?

I haven’t had a pet since I was eight years old and my parents split. We had a hairy mutt back then, but I couldn’t take him to Europe with me when my mom and I left. I guess I figured it wasn’t smart to have another, so I forgot about it. Playing hockey involves a lot of travel, so I never really had time for a pet once I put on the skates. I expect one day Kaylie and I will bring in a dog or cat, preferably a dog, or maybe we’ll wait until we have kids and they are old enough to appreciate having an animal in the family.

10. If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why?

No question. I’d go back to the night that Nick died and make sure we both stayed out of that car. Then I’d tell him everything I’ve learned since my second accident, everything I’ve learned since I found myself at Chatam House.

2 comments:

  1. I CANNOT WAIT to read this book!!!!! : D Lol! Sorry for the excitement, but I loved the first book. I really did....
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds good. As my birthday was this past week this would be a great gift to me.

    mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive