Friday, August 7, 2009

Love of Books

Merrillee here. My mother started me on my love affair with books. She subscribed me to the "Weekly Reader" book club, and she used to read some of the books to my brothers and me at bedtime. Old Bones the Wonder Horse was my favorite.

Books opened a whole new world to me. I grew up in small towns in South Dakota and Montana, but I read books set in all parts of the country. Even though I don't remember the name of the book set in New York City, it introduced me to a place where there was very little grass and a lot of sidewalks. Who knew that people lived in high rise apartments and didn't have front yards. Another book, No Children, No Pets was set in Florida. The book talked about a family who moved to an area where people didn't want children or pets, and they had both. There was also a hurricane in the story. It was a totally different world than the one I knew. Now I understand first hand, since I live in Florida.

Finally, as a part of this blog, I'd like to think I have passed on my love of books. I have one daughter who is a librarian and the other is passing on her love of books to her daughter. Here are a couple of photos of my granddaughter and her books.

4 comments:

  1. Your granddaughter is beautiful. Right now my son's favorite story is Corduroy. He also likes the Biscuit pre-reader stories and anything Spiderman. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela,
    Thank you. This grandma is prejudice. I think she's beautiful, too. Right now she loves to play with books. We'll see as she gets older what kind of books she loves to read--maybe her grandma's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merrille,
    What a cutie you've got. That's a keeper. As a kid I loved books of all kinds. Still do, but I don't have a much time to read as I used to. Still, whenever my grandchildren stay over, they all ask for multiple bedtime stories. I seldom say no.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat,
    I know what you mean about not having as much time to read. That's the only thing I dislike about writing. It cuts into my reading time.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive