Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Decisions


Hello. It's me, Lenora. Do you ever say that to God? Hello, God, It's me again. Lenora. I'm sure He sighs and thinks "Here we go." I'm trying to make a big decision right now. Nothing earth-shattering but big anyway. I've prayed about this decision and asked the Lord to show me the way. One day, I think I've made up my mind. The next, I'm not so sure. I read the Bible, searching for some sort of sign in God's word. Some days, I think this is it! Some days, I'm still searching aimlessly, wondering what to do. Anyway, I'll figure it out. I was just wondering how do you deal with major decisions in your life? I'm sure we all turn to prayer first, right?

But how do you know when it's God's voice you're hearing, or just your own wants and needs edging in there to make you go in the wrong direction? This sounds like a conflict in one of our books! Our characters have to make decisions based on their experience and the word in the Scriptures. They have to use the same reasoning and emotions we all use. And they have to make the right choices, based on their instincts and from listening to God's word in their lives. It's a lot easier to make decisions for my characters than it is for myself, that's for sure.

As far as what I'll decide, I think I know the answer already. And I pray that I heard God's word in my heart when I reached that conclusion. I'll let y'all know after I reach that point. Meantime, I will refer to this verse to see me through:

“I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.”- Psalm 116:1-2

5 comments:

  1. Hey Lenora. Yes, it's hard knowing whether it's God's will or ours. I like to think God's voice surpasses ours though.

    There was one time I had to make a major decision and I hadn't rec'd a clear answer. We ran a commercial greenhouse in town but finally found a farm 20 mins away. The question was whether to sell the greenhouse business or move it to the farm as well. B/c of our Cdn winters, you have to be close in case of power failure, etc. So I prayed. Didn't think I got an answer. I went ahead and ordered the $ 10,000 worth of cuttings b/c they had to be ordered at that time for planting in Feb. But I didn't feel like I should be doing it. So much inner turmoil.

    We'd only been on the farm 2 wks in Oct when I looked out my kitchen window and - now I know you're not supposed to test Him - but, I did. I said, "God, I can't figure this out. If you want us to sell the greenhouse, show me a flower." Then, I thought, that's too easy. Many gardens still hadn't been cleaned out. So, I said, "No, show me an elephant if you want us to sell." If any of you know the Cdn prairies, we don't have many elephants out here so I thought that was a pretty good test. I felt at peace after that and went back to washing dishes.

    Later on that afternoon, I was sweeping the floor and found one of my little guy's toys in a corner. It was a little yellow plastic elephant. Well, he likes animals so that was just a fluke, right?

    The next morning, I was making lunches when the little guy runs up to me and says, 'Look Mom, I never saw this before!" He showed me his t-shirt label. Yes, the logo had a picture of an elephant. Hmmm.

    A few hrs later I went to town. When I got to the corner I had to stop for a truck to pass. It was for one of the fertilizer companies and it's logo was painted on it's side. It was a 6 foot picture of an elephant's head. I was stunned.

    I asked for an elephant, and He showed me 3 of them before 24 hrs had passed.

    It snowed for several days after that and we rec'd about 18" of the white stuff. About 4 days after the elephant sightings, I was in town with the kids selling Scout popcorn. Snow covered everything. And then there, at one house, we passed a row of flowers, their heads frozen in time, sticking high above the snow. I had asked for a flower, He showed me a row of them.

    And to complete the story, by the end of the next week, it had snowed so much our biggest greenhouse where we grew all the potted plants, buckled under the weight of the snow rendering it completely useless. Even if we could have straightened out the metal ribs, it wouldn't be warm enough to replace the plastic cover until April. Yet the plants needed to be potted in Feb. It just wasn't going to happen.

    Now, I'm not suggesting you test God. I'm just telling you that even though you don't hear Him, He answers you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Anita. Why are we surprised when God answers our prayers?

    I recall one time I had a very tight scheduled day and I was committed to having a cake to take to my children's school. I needed a giveaway 9X13 pan for said cake (for a teacher who's wife was dying of cancer.) I didn't have time to stop at the store so my friend and I were on our way to a church rummage sale and I said I've prayed for a cake pan. My friend chuckled.
    I entered the church and what was sitting on the very first table?
    An aluminum cake pan still in its original package and for a dime!
    My friend looked at me and said, "It's getting scary when you pray, Lyn."
    But I was smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My problem arises when I expect to have the answer right now. Sometimes God's plan for me is to wait and deliberate before the path is clear.

    And I wish I could say I always come to God first with my problems, but all too often, I stew a while first!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you have all helped me so much! The elephant story is so wonderful, Anita Mae. And the funny thing, I did the same and had the signs I'd hinted at revealed to me just as you did. They all added up to make me think I'm making the right decision. Someone told me once though, that no matter the decisions we make, God is in all of them in one way or another. I'll have to explain all of this later, after I've announced this decision to those it concerns. Thanks so much, ladies, for your wisdom!

    Lenora :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful stories. Like you said, Lenora, I always struggle with wondering whether I'm hearing God's voice or my own desires. Of course, I guess I should be praying they're one and the same! :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive