Friday, June 26, 2009

My Hero


Since we are talking about heroes and the men in our lives, I have to brag about my hero husband. In the photo above he is standing on the Wimbledon tennis grounds in front of a statue of Fred Perry, a famous English tennis player.

Two years ago, I was watching the Wimbledon Tennis Championships on TV. I'm a tennis player and a big tennis fan, so I watch every year. My birthday always falls during Wimbledon, and I was thinking that it would be really cool to celebrate my birthday at Wimbledon. I casually mentioned this to my husband, never dreaming that it could be a reality. Little did I know that he took my wish and started working to make it come true. Nearly a year ahead of time, he began asking around to learn how he could get tickets.

He discovered that you must submit your name to a lottery for Wimbledon tickets. He put our names into the lottery, as well as the names of a number of relatives. But he didn't stop there because he couldn't rely on getting tickets through the lottery. He continued to talk to people about getting tickets. Mike, one of the men my husband plays cards with each week, used to live near London. His former neighbor in England has been a line judge at Wimbledon for twenty years. So Mike contacted his friend and asked whether he could get tickets for us. As you can see from the photo of me in the stands of Centre court, he was able to get us tickets.



Just a year ago today, I was sitting in Centre court watching Andy Roddick play. Unfortunately, he got beat. But he played today and won. As I'm watching the tennis at Wimbledon this year, I can see the different courts and have a better appreciation for the traditions of Wimbledon. The strawberries and cream are so good. This was an experience I will always treasure, especially because it was such a thoughtful gift from the man who has been my hero for over thirty years.

He's not just a hero because he got me tickets to Wimbledon, but he's a hero because he is a man who shows love and consideration to the people around him. There is a little bit of him in every hero I write.

Going to Wimbledon was a fabulous surprise. Tell us about your hero or a big surprise, or maybe both.

Merrillee

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool! My sister and I are bog tennis players(both on Varsity) and we'd kill for that!
    One of my heros is my friend David. I was and still am friends with his younger sister. Then, we started talking and became friends. We were juniors this year. So, at our school we have junior prom and not senior prom(weird, I know!). I had asked him to prom in advance, but he didn't want to and wasn't going at all. I was upset and let down. I was ending up going with one of my girl friends. Then, three days before prom, he asked me to go and be his date! He had already made the plans with everyone else(they all knew about it. It was a surprise for me.).
    In the end, I had a GREAT time! He was/is my hero for being so nice to me. It was certainly a night to remember!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,
    Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know there are some other tennis players out there. I'm glad you had a great time at the prom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merrillee, that's such a cool thing for him to do! I remember running into you at the airport right after you'd been, when we were on our way to conference. :)

    Hannah, that's so sweet what your friend did! I'm glad you got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I got to go. I was actually one of the only ones with an official date out of all of my friends. It was fun and we looked great together! : ) Or so we were told multiple times! Maybe someday it'll be more than friends...
    Thanks,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story. He is a hero.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive