Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wisconsin Dells & Summer Memories from My Mom



The Wisconsin Dells with its unique natural beauty and Ducks is a wonderful place to make memories.

Memorial Day Weekend officially launched Summer. (Don't get confused by the weatherman who says summer doesn't start till the Summer Solstice in mid June. We know better!)
I have lots of good summer memories that came because of my mom. Since I grew up an hour north of Chicago, one of these was going to the Wisconsin Dells.


If you've never heard of this Midwestern tourist destination, it is quite unique. In the last ice age (as in the animated movie, "The Ice Age"), this area of Wisconsin was not covered by the glacial ice shield and so it has very interesting landscape compared to the rest of Wisconsin and Illinois. If you'd like to read up on this which is called the "Driftless Area" of Wisconsin, go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dells_of_the_Wisconsin_River


The Dells is known for its Ducks, amphibious vehicles left over from WWII. These are the coolest things to ride in and around the Dells. For more on these unique vehicles. Visit http://www.dellsducks.com/history.html




My memories of the Dells are the delicious bakeries of Wisconsin. We'd leave early in the morning and then stop in one of the small towns and buy our breakfast at a bakery and then go to the local park and eat breakfast. Then we'd drive north to the Dells, get our motel (always with a small outdoor pool) and then do the Dells tours on the Ducks or a boat and then we'd go to the Ho-Chunk store (The American Indian tribe Winnebago called themselves Ho-chunk-gra (Ho-Chunk), "People with the Big Voice." http://www.answers.com/topic/winnebago-ho-chunk ) and I'd buy another silver and turquoise ring or little buckskin beaded purse.

I know it doesn't sound that exciting but it was. I loved the carnival atmosphere mixed with the natural beauty of the Dells. Do you have any memories of special summer spots where your mom made memories for you?

5 comments:

  1. My husband used to go to the Wisconsin Dells when he was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been there before, but it sounds cool!

    My grandparents were Jersey cattle farmers up until a few years ago. Every summer, there is a Jersey Cattle Convention that we go to. It is held in a different state every year. Because of this, I have been able to see at least 17 different states. I have also been priviledged enough to travel abroad with my grandparents. We have gone to Ireland, Isle of Jersey(where the Jersey cow originated from), Isle of Guernsey, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany. This summer, we will be traveling to Wales, Jersey, and France. I am so excited and tremendously fortunate. These are just some of my summer memories of growing up!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are blessed and well traveled! Awesome and I don't use that word lightly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! That's funny...Yes, I am definitely well aware of how fortunate I am. I absolutely love becing able to do it. Also, all of these experiences are memories of my grandparents. They are both 83, soon to be 84 now and who knows if either of them will be able to do the traveling next summer? I always keep that with me and cherish the time I get to spend with both of them.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive